I had a fantastic weekend this weekend the Place In The Sun Exhibtion where I was a guest expert on the Spanish panel. It was a great chance to talk to houseowners directly and to answer their burning questions about owning a holiday let. It won’t come as a surprise therefore that extending the lettings season and earning a return on their investment is a biggie!
I even had a discussion with Jonnie Irwin and Jasmine Harman (from the TV programme of the same name) on this very subject so you’re not alone in wondering how to extend your season and get the most income from your property.
Here are my 7 key tips to think about before you buy a property:
- Plan, plan, plan! If your planning on buying a holiday property, do a business plan and treat it like a business
- Niche! Before you buy, identify a niche (do get a copy of my free book to find out more about this subject www.freeholidayletsbook.com), eg. kids, sky divers, foodies, I could go on!
- What does the market want? Understand the needs and wants of your target market and seek to exceed expectations
- Pool side: Have a pool and enclose it – this will set you out from the crowd, particularly if your property is outside France
- Say no to granny’s old sofa: Don’t just ship out the things that you don’t want in your own home, find a niche, understand your market and equip your property accordingly
- Market to your niche: Use a lettings company that understand and cater for the niche that you are trying to attract
- Ask your lettings agent lots of questions: Pick their brains to make sure you’ve done as much as you can to attract the best customers
Incidentally the Place in the Sun Show is a great place to ask lots of questions, find out information and to talk to property sales teams who fly in from all over Europe. If you are planning a move this is a must-see show!